01 Jun 2015

RAJA Udang broke Pipit’s hearts yesterday coming back from 2-0 down in the first half to score three minutes before the whistle to make it 3-3 and win the first ever ITPSS Sunday League.

Prior to the finale, both teams were level on 15 points but Raja Udang’s 19 goal difference over Pipit’s 11 goal difference meant they just needed a draw to clinch the championship.

Pipit previously held the league’s summit for weeks, only to surrender it last week when it suffered a shocking defeat against fourth placed Merpati while Raja Udang already had bagged tons of goals majorly due to its 10-1 onslaught win over Layang two weeks ago. The runners-up could not have had a better start at the match at Masin Secondary School leading 2-0 in the first half.

But Raja Udang appeared to be a team that love last minute miracles and they pulled one back right before the break making 2-1.

In the second half, an awkward clearance from a Pipit player struck a Raja Udang player on his face and fell down. The Pipit players thought the game would be stopped and were caught napping as Raja Udang pounced on the rebound and equalised 2-2 again.

The goal spurred Raja Udang forward and all their players were up at Pipit’s half.

Pipit stole the ball, cleared it to its unmarked striker upfront who beat the keeper to put Pipit in the lead again. The championship trophy was in Pipit’s hands to lose. Pipit tried to park the bus but fatigue took over as their strategy of no substitutions in the second half took a toll as they could not close Raja Udang’s players fast enough.

Raja Udang’s Muhd Azmi Waliyuddin became the hero of the day, cutting in the right wing and rocket the unstoppable winning goal in the top corner.

Tension in the final few minutes was electric as Pipit gave everything they could, locking in shots after shots on target but heroics from Raja Udang goalkeeper Muhd Firdaus Abd Rahman carried Raja Udang to win the league.

The President of MSN Hj Muhd Hazidee Hj Sharbini presented the silver and bronze medals to the players and coaches of second placed Pipit, third placed Nuri and fourth placed Merpati.

The Village Head of Kg Masin, Hj Mohsin Hj Kamis then presented the gold medals to Raja Udang’s players and handed the championship trophy to Raja Udang coach Hj Aslimon Hj Momin and his jubilant players jumping in joy.

All the players from the eight teams in the league grouped together as their proud parents and families members flooded the football field, standing on their toes to take pictures.

The ITPSS Sunday League that completed yesterday was organised by the MSN United Football Club and Kampung Masin youth representatives designed for youth under the age of 12 and 15.

The Brunei Times