15 December 2023
A message impersonating the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports (MCYS) which claims to provide monthly assistance of $3,770 to struggling Bruneians has been spreading via WhatsApp messaging platform.
The message contains a link https://bantuan-kerajaan-brunei.my-app.biz.id/ to a website requesting your telegram number. The website is from a neighboring country and has no affiliation or relation to the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports of Brunei Darussalam. These Telegram groups are potentially being used as a platform for scammers to solicit donations or contributions or request users’ personal and financial/banking information.
- Before taking any action, ensure that the message or caller genuinely represents the organization they claim to be. Contact the organization directly for verification.
- Never respond to any requests without proper verification.
- Carefully examine links before clicking on them.
- Do not click on any suspicious links or attachments.
- Ignore or delete suspicious messages, and do not forward them to others.
- Use anti-virus software and update it regularly.
- Apply appropriate patches and updates immediately.
- Back up your devices regularly in case they become compromised.
- Practice good cyber hygiene and safe practices.