11 November 2023
Members of the public have reported receiving suspicious calls from a foreign telephone number (e.g. +92++++++) impersonating a local telco. The caller speaks with a foreign accent and claims that the telco customer’s account has expired. Such calls are suspected to be attempts at phishing personal details such as full name, identity card number, telco account details and other Personal Identifiable Information (PII).
- Identity theft
- Possible data loss and financial loss
- Do not answer calls from unknown numbers.
- End the call immediately if it seems suspicious.
- If you receive a robocall, do not press any keys – just hang up.
- If you receive repeated unwanted calls, block the number.
- Report suspicious calls to the relevant organization. Record the call as evidence, if possible.
- Remain vigilant and do not share any personal information over the phone.
- Educate yourself and others about how to deal with spam calls.