There are many places on the internet where you can meet people and get to know each other. These websites are called social networks. Some examples of social networks are Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter.
Sharing ideas, photos, news, hobbies and more with friends is fun but be careful! People online can steal information from you, like your photos or home address. Remember that when you post something online, it will stay on the internet forever! There are bad people everywhere and the internet is no different. Not everybody on social networks is telling you the truth, so you must be careful and don’t trust anyone you meet online.
When using social networks:
- Only make friends with people you know.
- Set your online profile to private. Ask your parents for help or look in the Help section of the website.
- If you’re not sure about anything then check with your parents or teacher.
- Don’t spend too much time on social media as it is not good for you.
- Don’t talk about yourself or your family on any social networking sites.
- Avoid giving out your real name, names of your family, friends, school or secrets on social network sites. You can always use nickname instead.
- Don’t talk about what you are going to do or where you are. Bad people could use this information and follow you.
- Block anyone who you don’t want to talk to.